There’s a Lot More to Copier Security than the Hard Drive!
You may have seen the video we recently featured on copier data security and now are scrambling for a way to be sure your hard drive in your copier is protecting your company's critical data. Many copier companies are beginning to see this is a good opportunity for marketing (much like the "green initiatives" were 2 or 3 years ago.) These companies want to talk about their "Data Security Kits" or their disk overwriting on their copiers, but this is a problem that actually requires discipline and effort to actually address. The simplistic view that the hard drive of the copier is really all that puts it at risk is a bit naive and if you only address this one concern, you may find you are still exposed!
Think of data security as a fence. The copier, if it is sold correctly and installed correctly will have a fence around all of the malicious threats against your company.
If all you do is address the hard drive, what other threats are you still vulnerable to?
- If you purchase the data security kits and they are not installed, enabled and tested, you may be paying for something that isn't even working.
- If you have a maliciously intended employee, how do you stop them from scanning critical company information to their own E mail address?
- Does your network card and fax card come on the same board? There is a data security threat there
- Does the copier encrypt the data as it receives it in case you lost power (or it died) and then those documents are also protected?
- Does it use the https protocol rather than the insecure http protocol?
All in all, copier security is not just dealing with the hard drive. It is, in its most elemental form, simply treating the copier like a laptop, a PC or any other item you deal with on your network!
Please give us a call if you are curious about copier security or data security here in Denver! If you are a copier buyer in Denver, ultimately, data security is your problem and responsibility, we are just here to help you out!